Research Professor, Population Studies Center and Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Narayan Sastry is a Research Professor in the Survey Research Center and the Population Studies Center at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research. He is also an Adjunct Senior Social Scientist at the RAND Corporation. Sastry has been at the University of Michigan since 2006.
Sastry’s research interests center on studying the social and spatial dimensions of health, development, and well-being of children and adolescents, both in the United States and in less developed countries.
Sastry serves as an Associate Director of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID), and he directs the PSID Child Development Supplement (PSID-CDS) and the PSID Transition into Adulthood Supplement (PSID-TAS). He is the Co-Director of the Los Angeles Family and Neighborhood Survey (L.A.FANS). Sastry is also the Director of the Displaced New Orleans Residents Survey (DNORS) that was designed to study the long-term demographic effects of Hurricane Katrina on the pre-storm population of New Orleans.
- Robert Bozick, Narayan Sastry, Airan Liu. 2022. Health in Early Adolescence and Paid Employment. Youth & Society 54(3):347-371.
- McGonagle,Katherine A, Narayan Sastry, Freedman,Vicki A. 2022. The Effects of a Targeted “Early Bird” Incentive Strategy on Response Rates, Fieldwork Effort, and Costs in a National Panel Study. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology
- Lauren A. Tighe, Birditt,Kira S, Turkelson,Angela Elizabeth, Narayan Sastry. 2022. Under my skin: Parenting behavior and children’s cortisol in the Los Angeles family and neighborhood survey. Developmental Psychobiology 64(4):e22263-undefined.
- Narayan Sastry, McGonagle,Katherine A. 2022. Switching from telephone to web-first mixed-mode data collection: Results from the Transition into Adulthood Supplement to the US Panel Study of Income Dynamics. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society) 185(3):933-954.
- McGonagle,Katherine A, Narayan Sastry. 2021. An Experimental Evaluation of an Online Interview Scheduler: Effects on Fieldwork Outcomes. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 9(3):412-428.
- Narayan Sastry, Fomby,Paula, McGonagle,Katherine A. 2021. Effects on Core Panel Attrition and Fieldwork Outcomes from Selection for a Supplemental Study: Evidence from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics. Advances in Longitudinal Survey Methodology :74-99.
- Narayan Sastry, Axinn,William G, de Jong,Julie Ann Josefosky, Ghimire,Dirgha Jibi, Emily Treleaven. 2021. Assessing the Opportunities and Challenges in the Transition to Computer-Based Survey Data Collection: The Role of Key Software System Features. Report to the World Bank
- Narayan Sastry, Gregory, Jesse . 2020. Returning to New Orleans in the Year after Hurricane Katrina: Disparities by Race and the Effects of Flooding. PSC Research Report Series (No. 20-896.)
- Narayan Sastry, McGonagle,Katherine A, Fomby,Paula. 2020. Effects of the COVID-19 Crisis on Survey Fieldwork: Experience and Lessons From Two Major Supplements to the U.S. Panel Study of Income Dynamics. Survey Research Methods 14(2):241-245.
- Fomby,Paula, Narayan Sastry. 2019. Data Collection on Sensitive Topics with Adolescents Using Interactive Voice Response Technology. methods, data, analyses 13(1)