Vicki A Freedman
Research Professor, Survey Research Center and Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Freedman is a Research Professor at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research. She is currently the Director of the Michigan Center on the Demography of Aging. Over the past decade Freedman has held leadership roles in several national survey efforts. She has co-led the National Health and Aging Trends Study and the National Study of Caregiving since their inception and is an Associate Director of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics. Through these efforts she has been instrumental in disseminating new measures to study disability and care needs of older adults. She has published extensively on the topics of population aging, disability trends and long-term care and has investigated the connections among disability, time use and wellbeing in later life.
- McGonagle,Katherine A, Narayan Sastry, Freedman,Vicki A. 2022. The Effects of a Targeted “Early Bird” Incentive Strategy on Response Rates, Fieldwork Effort, and Costs in a National Panel Study. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology
- Brown, Monique J, Wang, Haowei, Lin, I-Fen, Gan, Daniel, Oyeyemi, Deborah, Manning, Mark, Freedman,Vicki A. 2022. COVID-19-Related Changes in Assistance Networks for U.S. Older Adults with and without Dementia. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Schoeni, Robert F., Freedman,Vicki A, Cornman, Jennifer C., Seltzer, Judith A.. 2022. The Strength of Parent-Adult Child Ties in Biological Families and Stepfamilies: Evidence From Time Diaries From Older Adults. Demography 59(5):1821–1842.
- Hu,Mengyao, Freedman,Vicki A, Patterson,Sarah Elizabeth, Lewis, Nora. 2022. Shared Care Networks Assisting Older Adults: New Insights from the National Health and Aging Trends Study. The Gerontologist
- Freedman,Vicki A, Patterson,Sarah Elizabeth, Jennifer C. Cornman, Jennifer L. Wolff. 2022. A day in the life of caregivers to older adults with and without dementia: Comparisons of care time and emotional health. Alzheimer's & Dementia 18(9):1650-1661.
- Freedman,Vicki A, Hu,Mengyao, Kasper, Judith D. 2022. Changes in Older Adults’ Social Contact During the COVID-19 Pandemic. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 77(7):e160-e166.
- Adriana M. Reyes, Robert F. Schoeni, Freedman,Vicki A. 2022. National estimates of kinship size and composition among adults with activity limitations in the United States. Demographic Research 45:1097-1114.
- Claire K. Ankuda, Kenneth Covinsky, Freedman,Vicki A, Langa,Kenneth M, Melissa D. Aldridge, Cynthia Yee, Amy S. Kelley. 2022. The devil’s in the details: Variation in estimates of late-life activity limitations across national cohort studies. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society
- Hu,Mengyao, Freedman,Vicki A, Josh Ehrlich, Reed, Nicholas S, Billington, Catherine, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Collecting Objective Measures of Visual and Auditory Function in a National in-Home Survey of Older Adults. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 9(2):309-334.
- Freedman,Vicki A, Hu,Mengyao, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Changes in older adults’ social contact during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B