Joseph P Ryan
Professor of Social Work, School of Social Work and Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Ryan’s research focuses on the experiences and outcomes of families entangled with the public child welfare system and at least one other social service context. He is particularly interested in public policy and clinical interventions to address the needs of children and families with co-occurring problems.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Perron,Brian E, Bushman, Gregory , Victor, Bryan G. 2019. In Utero Exposure to Opioids: An Observational Study of Mothers Involved in the Child Welfare System. Substance Use & Misuse
- Ryan,Joseph P, Perron,Brian E, Victor, Bryan G, Resko, Stella M. 2019. Identification of Domestic Violence Service Needs Among Child Welfare-Involved Parents With Substance Use Disorders: A Gender-Stratified Analysis. Journal of Interpersonal Violence :0886260518768569.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Perron,Brian E, Victor, Bryan G, Henry, Colleen , Gilbert, Terri Ticknor. 2019. Child Protective Service Referrals Involving Exposure to Domestic Violence: Prevalence, Associated Maltreatment Types, and Likelihood of Formal Case Openings. Child Maltreatment 24(3):299-309.
- Perron,Brian E, Ryan,Joseph P, Victor, Bryan G, Bushman, Gregory , Moore, Andrew , Lu, Alex Jiahong, Piellusch, Emily K. 2019. Detecting substance-related problems in narrative investigation summaries of child abuse and neglect using text mining and machine learning. Child Abuse & Neglect 98:104180.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Perron,Brian E, Victor, Bryan G, Grogan-Kaylor, Andrew , Gilbert, Terri Ticknor. 2018. Domestic violence, parental substance misuse and the decision to substantiate child maltreatment. Child Abuse & Neglect 79:31-41.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Schulenberg,John E, Pamela Davis-Kean, Williams-Butler, Abigail , McLoyd, Vonnie C. 2018. Relational Permanence and Psychological well-being among African American Adolescents in Foster Care. Journal of Child and Family Studies 27(10):3277-3287.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Jacob,Brian Aaron, Perron,Brian E, Gross, Max , Moore, Andrew , Ferguson, Sharlyn . 2018. Early Exposure to Child Maltreatment and Academic Outcomes. Child Maltreatment 23(4):365-375.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Perron,Brian E, Mowbray, Orion , Victor, Bryan G, Bushman, Gregory , Yochum, Clayton . 2017. Longitudinal trends in substance use and mental health service needs in child welfare. Children and Youth Services Review 73(Supplement C):1-8.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Perron,Brian E, Moore, Andrew , Victor, Bryan G, Park, Keunhye . 2017. Timing matters: A randomized control trial of recovery coaches in foster care. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 77(Supplement C):178-184.
- Ryan,Joseph P, Perron,Brian E, Mowbray, Orion , Victor, Bryan G, Moore, Andrew . 2017. Parental Substance Use and Foster Care Reentry. Journal of Social Work Practice in the Addictions 17(4352-373):1-22.