Yasamin Yoko Kusunoki
Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Faculty Associate, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research and Assistant Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing
Dr. Kusunoki’s research focuses on understanding the sources of gender, racial/ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities in health and demographic behaviors during adolescence and the transition to adulthood. She is particularly interested in the social contexts in which young people are embedded such as their families, neighborhoods, and romantic and sexual relationships. Current investigations include the influence of multiple, dynamic social contexts on young women’s risk of unintended pregnancy; the ways in which neighborhoods shape young people’s relationship experiences; and the role of gender and relationship characteristics on condom use.
- Barber, Jennifer S, Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Guzzo, Karen Benjamin, Hayford, Sarah R, Lang, Vanessa Wanner, Wu, Hsueh-Sheng . 2019. Dimensions of Reproductive Attitudes and Knowledge Related to Unintended Childbearing Among U.S. Adolescents and Young Adults. Demography 56(1):201-228.
- Barber, Jennifer S, Heather Gatny, Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Batra, Peter Rakesh, Ela, Elizabeth , Fakih, Souhiela , Farris, Karen . 2019. Contraceptive Desert? Black-White Differences in Characteristics of Nearby Pharmacies. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities 6(4):9-732.
- Barber, Jennifer S, Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Weitzman, Abigail M.. 2019. Sexual Concurrency and Contraceptive Use Among Young Adult Women. Demography 56(2):549-572.
- Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Barber, Jennifer S. 2019. Intimate relationship dynamics and Women's expected control over sex and contraception. Contraception 100(6):484-491.
- Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Shen, Sharon . 2019. Intimate Partner Violence and Psychological Distress Among Emerging Adult Women: A Bidirectional Relationship. Journal of Women's Health 28(8):1060-1067.
- Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Gultekin, Laura , Sinko, Laura , Cannon, Lindsay , Abramoski, Kathryn , Khan, Angubeen G, Seng, Julia . 2019. The Eco-Social Trauma Intervention Model. Public Health Nursing 36(5):709-715.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Larance, Lisa Young, Munro-Kramer, Michelle , Sheridan-Fulton, Emily , Ngo, Quyen , Fincher, Sharron , Denson, Nicole . 2019. Feminist Praxis: The Michigan Meeting on Ending Gender-Based Violence. Affilia 34(3):383-392.
- Barber, Jennifer S, Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Miller, Warren , Hayford, Sarah R, Guzzo, Karen Benjamin. 2019. Intimate Relationship Dynamics and Changing Desire for Pregnancy Among Young Women. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 51(3):143-152.
- Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, MacAfee, Lauren K, Harfmann, Roxanne F, Cannon, Lindsay M, Minadeo, Leah , Kolenic, Giselle , Dalton, Vanessa K. 2019. Substance Use Treatment Patient and Provider Perspectives on Accessing Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Barriers, Facilitators, and the Need for Integration of Care. Substance Use & Misuse :1-13.
- Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Ngo, Q M, Eisman, A B, Walton, M , Chermack, S T, Singh, V , Cunningham, R . 2018. Emergency Department Alcohol Intervention: Effects on Dating Violence and Depression. Pediatrics 142(1):e20173525.