Elizabeth A Armstrong
Sherry B Ortner Collegiate Professor of Sociology, Chair, Department of Sociology, Professor of Sociology, Professor of Women's and Gender Studies, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Armstrong’s scholarship focuses on the reproduction of gender, class, and race inequalities. She examines these processes in the domain of sexuality and within the organizational context of the university. Her co-authored book, Paying for the Party: How College Maintains Inequality (Harvard University Press, 2013), followed a cohort of young women through their experiences at a large Midwestern state university. The book challenges the claim that college equalizes the life chances of college graduates. The authors demonstrated that the most well-resourced and seductive route through this university was a “party pathway” anchored in the Greek system and facilitated by the administration. This pathway benefited the affluent, while disadvantaging the majority. Her current project, with Sandra Levitsky, investigates university responses to campus sexual assault.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Kusunoki,Yasamin Yoko, Larance, Lisa Young, Munro-Kramer, Michelle , Sheridan-Fulton, Emily , Ngo, Quyen , Fincher, Sharron , Denson, Nicole . 2019. Feminist Praxis: The Michigan Meeting on Ending Gender-Based Violence. Affilia 34(3):383-392.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Schneider, Jeri A., Levi, B , Kraft, C T, Shapiro, G D, Trinh, N T, Dore, E C, Jeng, J , Lee, A F, Marino, M , Jette, A , Acton, A , Kazis, L E, Ryan, C M. 2018. The Associations of Gender With Social Participation of Burn Survivors: A Life Impact Burn Recovery Evaluation Profile Study. Journal of Burn Care Research 39(6):915-922.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Gleckman-Krut, M , Johnson, L . 2018. Silence, Power, and Inequality: An Intersectional Approach to Sexual Violence. Annual Review of Sociology 44:99-122.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura , Seeley, Jessica Lotus. 2014. Good Girls: Gender, Social Class, and Slut Discourse on Campus. Social Psychology Quarterly 77(2):100-122.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura T. 2013. Paying for the Party: How College Maintains Inequality.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Backstrom, Laura , Puentes, Jennifer . 2012. Women's Negotiation of Cunnilingus in College Hookups and Relationships. Journal of Sex Research 49(1):1-12.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, England, Paula , Fogarty, Alison C. K.. 2012. Accounting for Women's Orgasm and Sexual Enjoyment in College Hookups and Relationships. American Sociological Review 77(3):435-462.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura . 2012. The (Mis)Education of Monica and Karen. Contexts 11(4):22-27.
- Elizabeth Armstrong, Hamilton, Laura , England, Paula . 2010. Is Hooking Up Bad for Young Women?. Contexts 9(3):22-27.