Arline T Geronimus
Professor of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health and Research Professor, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Geronimus’ research interests include understanding the social and biological mechanisms that mediate racial disparities in health along the full pathway from the environmental to the cellular level: cultural influences on population variation in family structure and age-at-first birth; the effects of poverty, institutionalized discrimination, and residential areas on health; the strategies used by marginalized communities to mitigate the harmful health effects of poverty and structural racism; and the perturbations public policies sometimes cause in these autonomous protections.
- Arline T Geronimus, Bound,John, Landon Hughes. 2023. Trend Toward Older Maternal Age Contributed To Growing Racial Inequity In Very-Low-Birthweight Infants In The US. Health Affairs 42(5):674-682.
- Stojanovski, Kristefer, King, Elizabeth J., Amico, K. Rivet, Eisenberg, Marisa C., Geronimus,Arline T, Baros, Sladjana, Schmidt, Axel J.. 2022. Stigmatizing Policies Interact with Mental Health and Sexual Behaviours to Structurally Induce HIV Diagnoses Among European Men Who Have Sex with Men. AIDS and Behavior
- Hughes, Landon D., King, Wesley M., Gamarel, Kristi E., Geronimus,Arline T, Panagiotou, Orestis A., Hughto, Jaclyn M.W.. 2022. Differences in All-Cause Mortality Among Transgender and Non-Transgender People Enrolled in Private Insurance. Demography 59(3):1023-1043.
- Landon D. Hughes, Wesley M. King, Kristi E. Gamarel, Geronimus,Arline T, Orestis A. Panagiotou, Jaclyn M. W. Hughto. 2022. US Black-White Differences in Mortality Risk Among Transgender and Cisgender People in Private Insurance, 2011-2019. American Journal of Public Health
- Arline T Geronimus, Bound,John, Colter Mitchell, Aresha Martinez-Cardoso, Linnea Evans, Landon Hughes, Lisa Schneper, Daniel A. Notterman. 2021. Coming up short: Comparing venous blood, dried blood spots & saliva samples for measuring telomere length in health equity research. PLOS ONE 16(8):e0255237.
- Geronimus,Arline T, Bound,John, Waidmann, Timothy A, Rodriguez, Javier M, Timpe, Brenden . 2019. Weathering, Drugs, and Whack-a-Mole: Fundamental and Proximate Causes of Widening Educational Inequity in U.S. Life Expectancy by Sex and Race, 1990-2015. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 60(2):222-239.
- Julie Allen, Daphne C. Watkins, Linda Chatters She-Her, Geronimus,Arline T, Johnson-Lawrence, Vicki Demeitris. 2019. Cortisol and Racial Health Disparities Affecting Black Men in Later Life: Evidence From MIDUS II. American Journal of Men's Health 13(4):1557988319870969.
- Geronimus,Arline T, Jones, Nancy L, Gilman, Stephen E, Cheng, Tina L, Drury, Stacy S, Hill, Carl V. 2019. Life Course Approaches to the Causes of Health Disparities. American Journal of Public Health 109(S1):S48-S55.
- Geronimus,Arline T, Muennig, Peter A, Reynolds, Megan , Fink, David S, Zafari, Zafar . 2019. America's Declining Well-Being, Health, and Life Expectancy: Not Just a White Problem. American Journal of Public Health :e1-e6.
- Geronimus,Arline T, Novak, Nicole L, Martinez-Cardoso, Aresha M. 2017. Change in birth outcomes among infants born to Latina mothers after a major immigration raid. International Journal of Epidemiology 46(3):839-849.