Brady Thomas West
Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research and Adjunct Lecturer in Quantitative Methods and Social Sciences Program, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
Brady T. West is a Research Professor in the Survey Methodology Program, located within the Survey Research Center at the Institute for Social Research on the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (U-M) campus. He earned his PhD from the Michigan Program in Survey Methodology in 2011. Before that, he received an MA in Applied Statistics from the U-M Statistics Department in 2002, being recognized as an Outstanding First-year Applied Masters student, and a BS in Statistics with Highest Honors and Highest Distinction from the U-M Statistics Department in 2001. His current research interests include the implications of measurement error in auxiliary variables and survey paradata for survey estimation, survey nonresponse, interviewer variance, and multilevel regression models for clustered and longitudinal data. He is the lead author of a book comparing different statistical software packages in terms of their mixed-effects modeling procedures (Linear Mixed Models: A Practical Guide using Statistical Software, Second Edition, Chapman Hall/CRC Press, 2014), and he is a co-author of a second book entitled Applied Survey Data Analysis (with Steven Heeringa and Pat Berglund), the second edition of which was published by Chapman Hall in June of 2017. He lives in Dexter, MI with his wife Laura, his son Carter, his daughter Everleigh, and his American Cocker Spaniel Bailey.
- Arianna M. Gard, Luke Hyde, Heeringa,Steven G, Brady Thomas West, Colter Mitchell. 2023. Why weight? Analytic approaches for large-scale population neuroscience data. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 59:101196.
- Zhang,Shiyu, Brady Thomas West, Wagner,James Robert, Mick Couper, Gatward,Rebecca, William G Axinn. 2023. Visible Cash, a Second Incentive, and Priority Mail? An Experimental Evaluation of Mailing Strategies for a Screening Questionnaire in a National Push-To-Web/Mail Survey. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology
- Seidenberg, Andrew B, Moser, Richard P, Brady Thomas West. 2023. Preferred Reporting Items for Complex Sample Survey Analysis (PRICSSA). Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology
- Wagner,James Robert, Zhang,Xinyu, Elliott,Michael R, Brady Thomas West, Coffey, Stephanie M. 2023. An experimental evaluation of a stopping rule aimed at maximizing cost-quality trade-offs in surveys. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A: Statistics in Society
- Marcia Valenstein, Rebecca Clive, Dara Ganoczy, James Garlick, Heather M. Walters, West,Brady Thomas, Hyungjin M. Kim, Daniel Eisenberg, Kipling M. Bohnert, Stephen L. DesJardins, Kara Zivin, Lepkowski,James M, Paul N. Pfeiffer. 2022. A nationally representative sample of veteran and matched non-veteran college students: Mental health symptoms, suicidal ideation, and mental health treatment. Journal of American College Health 70(2):436-445.
- McCabe,Sean Esteban, Engstrom,Curtiss, Luisa Kcomt, Rebecca Evans-Polce, West,Brady Thomas. 2022. Trends in binge drinking, marijuana use, illicit drug use, and polysubstance use by sexual identity in the United States (2006-2017). Substance Abuse 43(1):194-203.
- Hsing-Fang Hsieh, Justin E. Heinze, Elise Caruso, Briana A. Scott, West,Brady Thomas, Ritesh Mistry, Andria B. Eisman, Shervin Assari, Anne Buu, Marc A. Zimmerman. 2022. The Protective Effects of Social Support on Hypertension Among African American Adolescents Exposed to Violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence 37(9-10):NP7202-NP7224.
- McCabe,Sean Esteban, Tonda L. Hughes, Sarah Beal, Rebecca J. Evans-Polce, Luisa Kcomta, Engstrom,Curtiss, West,Brady Thomas, Veliz,Philip Todd, Kate Leary, Vita V. McCabe, Carol J. Boyd. 2022. Sexual orientation differences in childhood sexual abuse, suicide attempts, and DSM-5 alcohol, tobacco, other drug use, and mental health disorders in the US. Child Abuse & Neglect 123:105377.
- Chinwe E Eze, West,Brady Thomas, Michael P Dorsch, Antoinette B Coe, Corey A Lester, Lorraine R Buis, Karen Farris. 2022. Predictors of Smartphone and Tablet Use Among Patients With Hypertension: Secondary Analysis of Health Information National Trends Survey Data. Journal of Medical Internet Research 24(1):e33188.
- West,Brady Thomas, Axinn,William G, Mick Couper, Heather Gatny, Schroeder,Heather Marie. 2022. A Web-based Event History Calendar Approach for Measuring Contraceptive Use Behavior. Field Methods 34(1):3-19.