Erin Bakshis Ware
Research Assistant Professor, Survey Research Center and Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Ware has a doctoral degree in epidemiology and master’s degrees in statistics and public health. Dr. Ware’s work for has been focused on health disparities in psychiatric epidemiology and high throughput statistical analysis of genomic data and its relationship to outcomes that show marked disparities across race/ethnic groups, socioeconomic groups and sexes. She also has experience in exploring the relationships among genomic, transcriptomic, and epigenetic data and their interactions with behavioral and socioeconomic risk factors as determinants of chronic disease phenotypes that disproportionately affect minorities using cutting-edge computational methods. She is currently a research assistant professor in the Population, Neurodevelopment, and Genetics group in the Survey Research Center integrating biological and social data on a large scale. She has worked and published on the Health and Retirement Study, the Genetic Epidemiology Network of Arteriopathy, and the Army Study to Assess Risk and Resilience in Service members. She teaches statistics, statistical programming, and epidemiology and is particularly skilled at relaying complex computational, statistical and genetic concepts to social scientists and lay persons.
- Lauren Y. M. Middleton, John Dou, Jonah Fisher, Jonathan A. Heiss, Vy K. Nguyen, Allan C. Just, Faul,Jessica Danielle, Erin Ware, Colter Mitchell, Justin A. Colacino, Kelly M. Bakulski. 2022. Saliva cell type DNA methylation reference panel for epidemiological studies in children. Epigenetics 17(2):161-177.
- Kolli, Ajay, Zhou, Yunshu, Chung, Grace, Erin Bakshis Ware, Langa,Kenneth M, Josh Ehrlich. 2022. Interactions between the apolipoprotein E4 gene and modifiable risk factors for cognitive impairment: a nationally representative panel study. BMC Geriatrics 22:938.
- Niamh Mullins, ..., Erin Bakshis Ware, et al.. 2022. Dissecting the Shared Genetic Architecture of Suicide Attempt, Psychiatric Disorders, and Known Risk Factors. Biological Psychiatry 91(3):313-327.
- Kelly M. Bakulski, Vadari,Harita Shree, Faul,Jessica Danielle, Heeringa,Steven G, Sharon L. R. Kardia, Langa,Kenneth M, Smith,Jennifer Ann, Jennifer J. Manly, Colter Mitchell, Kelly S. Benke, Erin Ware. 2021. Cumulative Genetic Risk and APOE ε4 Are Independently Associated With Dementia Status in a Multiethnic, Population-Based Cohort. Neurology Genetics 7(2):e576.
- Gard, Arianna Morgan, Erin Ware, Luke Hyde, Schmitz,Lauren Lucia, Faul,Jessica Danielle, Colter Mitchell. 2021. Phenotypic and genetic markers of psychopathology in a population-based sample of older adults. Translational Psychiatry 11:239.
- Bakulski, Kelly M., Fisher, Jonah D., Dou, John F., Gard, Arianna, Schneper, Lisa, Notterman, Daniel A., Erin Ware, Colter Mitchell. 2021. Prenatal Particulate Matter Exposure Is Associated with Saliva DNA Methylation at Age 15: Applying Cumulative DNA Methylation Scores as an Exposure Biomarker. Toxics 9(10):262.
- West,Brady Thomas, Little,Roderick J, Rebecca R. Andridge, Philip S. Boonstra, Erin Ware, Anita Pandit, Fernanda Alvarado-Leiton. 2021. Assessing selection bias in regression coefficients estimated from nonprobability samples with applications to genetics and demographic surveys. The Annals of Applied Statistics 15(3):1556-1581.
- Bressler, Jan, ..., Smith,Jennifer Ann, Zhao,Wei, Erin Bakshis Ware, et al.. 2021. Association of low-frequency and rare coding variants with information processing speed. Translational Psychiatry 11:613.
- Erin Ware, Faul,Jessica Danielle, Colter Mitchell, Kelly M. Bakulski. 2020. Considering the APOE locus in Alzheimer’s disease polygenic scores in the Health and Retirement Study: a longitudinal panel study. BMC Medical Genomics 13(1):164.
- Erin Ware, Colter Mitchell, Heeringa,Steven G, Kessler,Ronald C, Stein, Murray B, Chen, Chia-Yen , Borja, Susan , Cai, Tianxi , Dempsey, Catherine L, Fullerton, Carol S, Gelernter, Joel , Jain, Sonia , Naifeh, James A, Nock, Matthew K, Ripke, Stephan , Sun, Xiaoying , Beckham, Jean C, Kimbrel, Nathan A, Ursano, Robert J, Smoller, Jordan W. 2017. Genomewide association studies of suicide attempts in US soldiers. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics 174(8):786-797.