Waldo O Hildebrand Professor of Risk Management and Insurance, Professor of Business Economics and Public Policy, Stephen M Ross School of Business, Professor of Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health and Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Buchmueller’s research focuses on the economics of health insurance and related public policy issues. His recent work has examined the relationship between employer-sponsored insurance and labor market outcomes, interactions between the public sector and private insurance markets, and consumer demand for health insurance.
- Tom Buchmueller, Levy,Helen G, Robert G. Valletta. 2021. Medicaid Expansion and the Unemployed. Journal of Labor Economics 39(S2):S575-S617.
- Levy,Helen G, Tom Buchmueller, Ayanian, John Z, Grimes, Donald R, Ehrlich, Gabriel . 2020. Macroeconomic Feedback Effects of Medicaid Expansion: Evidence from Michigan. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 45(1):5-48.
- Tom Buchmueller, Levy,Helen G. 2020. The ACA's Impact On Racial And Ethnic Disparities In Health Insurance Coverage And Access To Care. Health Affairs 39(3):395-402.
- Levy,Helen G, Tom Buchmueller, Nikpay, Sayeh . 2019. The Impact of Medicaid Expansion on Household Consumption. Eastern Economic Journal 45(26-33):34-57.
- Tom Buchmueller, Levy,Helen G, Rhodes, Jordan H, Nikpay, Sayeh S. 2019. Heterogeneous Effects of the ACA Medicaid Expansion on Hospital Financial Outcomes. Contemporary Economic Policy 38(1):81-93.
- Tom Buchmueller, Zawacki, Alice M, Vistnes, Jessica P. 2019. Why are employer-sponsored health insurance premiums higher in the public sector than in the private sector?. Monthly Labor Review :1-19.
- Levy,Helen G, Tom Buchmueller, Nikpay, Sayeh . 2018. Health Reform and Retirement. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 73(4):713-722. PMCID: PMC6019028.
- Tom Buchmueller, Carey, Colleen . 2018. The Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Opioid Utilization in Medicare. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 10(1):77-112.
- Tom Buchmueller, Goldzahl, Léontine . 2018. The effect of organized breast cancer screening on mammography use: Evidence from France. Health Economics 27(12):1963-1980.
- Tom Buchmueller, Dumontet, Magali , Dourgnon, Paul , Jusot, Florence , Wittwer, Jerome . 2017. Gatekeeping and the utilization of physician services in France: Evidence on the Medecin traitant reform. Health Policy 121(6):675-682.