Joseph Trent Alexander
Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center and Research Professor, Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research, Institute for Social Research
J. Trent Alexander is the Associate Director and a Research Professor at ICPSR in the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan. Alexander is a historical demographer and builds social science data infrastructure. He is currently leading the Decennial Census Digitization and Linkage Project (joint with Raj Chetty and Katie Genadek) and ResearchDataGov (joint with Lynette Hoelter). Prior to coming to ICPSR in 2017, Alexander initiated the Census Longitudinal Infrastructure Project at the Census Bureau and managed the Integrated Public Use Microdata Series (IPUMS) at the University of Minnesota.
- Katie R. Genadek, Joseph Alexander. 2022. The Missing Link: Data Capture Technology and the Making of a Longitudinal U.S. Census Infrastructure. IEEE Annals of the History of Computing
- Joseph Alexander, Massey, Catherine, Leibbrand, Christine , Tolnay, Stewart . 2019. Great Migration's great return? An examination of second-generation return migration to the South. Social Science Research 81:117-131.
- Joseph Alexander, Massey, Catherine, Leibbrand, Christine , Tolnay, Stewart . 2019. Neighborhood Attainment Outcomes for Children of the Great Migration. American Journal of Sociology 125(1):141-183.
- Susan Leonard, Joseph Alexander, Maggie Levenstein, Kum, Hye-Chung , Akgün, Özgür , Antonie, Luiza , O'Hara, Amy . 2018. Establishing an International Data Linkage Repository Workgroup Toward a Benchmarking Repository. International Journal of Population Data Science 3(4)
- Joseph Alexander, Massey, Catherine, Genadek, Katie R, Gardner, Todd K, O'Hara, Amy . 2018. Linking the 1940 U.S. Census with modern data. Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History 51(4):246-257.
- Joseph Alexander. 2018. Variations in the Gender Composition of Immigrant Populations: How They Matter. Variations in the Gender Composition of Immigrant Populations: How They Matter 45(3):495-526.
- Joseph Alexander, Massey, Catherine, Leibbrand, Christine , Tolnay, Stewart . 2017. Second-Generation Outcomes of the Great Migration. Demography 54(6):2249-2271.
- Joseph Alexander, Andersen, Robert , Cookson, Peter W, Edin, Kathryn , Fisher, Jonathan , Grusky, David B, Mattingly, Marybeth , Varner, Charles . 2017. A Qualitative Census of Rural and Urban Poverty. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 672(1):143-161.
- Joseph Alexander. 2017. SecondGeneration Outcomesinthe Great Migration. SecondGeneration Outcomesinthe Great Migration 54(6):2249-2271.
- Joseph Alexander. 2012. Gender andthe ‘Laws of Migration’:A Reconsiderationof Nineteenth‐century Patterns. Gender andthe ‘Laws of Migration’:A Reconsiderationof Nineteenth‐century Patterns 36(2):223-241.